Thursday, May 13, 2010

What is your First Indrajal Comics once again?

"My name is Swarnendu Sen.

I start to read Indrajal Comics at age of 9 or 10. I live in Berhampore, West Bengal, in my childhood we used to go to my maternal uncle house in Kolkata during summer vacation.
One day accidentally I found a hidden treasure in a wooden almirah. Lots of Indrajal comics. I have been overwhelmed before all this books, with wonder and joy. What have I found?
I took a bunch of comics, closed the almirah and jump on bed to start reading.
Still I remember my first one; it was “Ataler Atma”. It was a Mandrake comics. Someone try to cheat a
billionaire, but Mandrake and Lothar stop him. The story started with Mandrake shows his magic on a stage. There he throw a rope up in the air and it stand like a steel rod, then he fly the whole audience and finally call an evil power.
After “Ataler Atma” I start to read other stories, Betal, Flash Gordon, Bahadur, but Mandrake is always my favorite Indrajal hero.
My summer vacation become pleasant and excellent. When time to return home, I feel sad. My maternal uncle never allow me to take those books with me, because those were his childhood collection and he never want to lose a single copy. I never touched a book without informing him.
Return home, and wait until I got chance to go to my maternal uncle house again.
Sometimes I got few Indrajal comics from my schoolmates also. But I read most of Indrajals from my maternal uncle house.

I am in the medical profession and happy with my wife and little kid. We live in Berhampore with my parents.
I still read Indrajal Comics but often work keeps me busy. I don’t have any indrajal collection other than digital. Which I download from Internet.
I'd like to thank those person who gave their effort to upload indrajal comics. I am collecting those copies and looking forward if someday my kid (now 5 months only) also love to read Indrajal comics :))
Thanks."
....................................................................................

Thank you Swarnendu for sharing your first memory of Indrajal Comics. You can get every IJC online now, collect it for your child, I am sure someday he will read.
My best wishes for you and your family.
And now friends....
Here is “120 Ataler Atma” Published in 15th September 1971 approximately 10 years before Mr. Swarnendu was born.

Download
120 Ataler Atma
And here is the repeated version of Atoler Atma, Published in March 1986 as “V23N13 Voyer Prasad”.

Download
V23N13 Voyer Prasad

9 comments:

  1. Swarnendu's IJC childhood memories are sweet to read. Almost all of us comic fans have been blessed to have our childhood decorated by the awesome IJC line-up in all its glory days.

    Surprisingly, It seems Maternal uncles have all been a source of IJC fun during our childhoods.

    Frankly speaking I never ever bought a IJC on my own, as by the time I gathered my pocket money to buy one edition of IJC, it had long closed shops. But, I was enthused everytime I had a peak at the collections which were treasured by my cousins.

    Now treasuring those rare IJC issues at Raddiwalas and seeing them in all its former glory in digital versions are making our days. I am hopeful to make the next generation of kids in my family to be attached to this wonderful medium which can trigger your imagination more than what movies can ever manage to do.

    By the way Betal, thanks for those IJCs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @BIC: thanks for sharing the story of swarnendu..really nice..& also thanks for the bengali version of the"evil ones"..bangla naamta prothom baar sunte pelam..

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rafiq Raja: Yes, Books always Increase a child’s creativity and imagination. Einstein said, "Imagination is more important than knowledge.” Without imagination, there are no new ideas.
    Jules Verne imagined airplane and submarine before those machines were invented.

    So books are the key. I start to collect books from my childhood. Later purchase from old book market of collage st. I do not have enough bookcases, so no tables are free from books, books on floor, books on stair, and even books are in the kitchen.

    I think digital books are better; they are easy to preserve and search.
    Books also have some sentimental value, never compared with ebooks. But books means paper and paper is almost always made from trees, I don’t know how many trees are cut down each year for paper. So may be ebooks are the future books.

    And about “Raddiwalas”, without them I never manage my huge collection of books. Most of them I purchased 2nd hand from old book market and they purchased from “Raddiwalas”.

    Thanks for your Comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Walker: yes, Swarnendu’s early memory of IJC is very nice, So I can't resist myself to post it here.
    "The Evil Ones”- er bangle namta ki darun hoe chilo bolo. “Atoler Atma”.
    Thanks for your Comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Betal. Thank you very much for increasing the collection by two more gems. Your choice of posting is really appreciable. Swarnendu tells you about his childhood comics and you have posted them! Thanks again.

    One request. Can you remove this word verification for posting comments please?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Devil for your valuable comments. Actually Swarnendu mail me about his 1st memory of IJC with his photos and I feel its very interesting to post.

    And about word verification, yes I will disable it with my next post.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's an very interesting idea and in very short period you had made Swarnendu's dream true. Kudo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Prabhat, yes, Swarnendu’s dream is if his kid also enjoy IJC as he did in his childhood.
    I hope his son will love to read IJC's and I will happy to post his 1st experience with IJC here, if I manage to live few years more.

    Thanks for you comments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For indrajaal comics or other any comics magazine novel contact me whatsapp 7870475981

    ReplyDelete