Saturday, April 24, 2010

Bengali Indrajal 003 MAHAKASHCHARI O BETAL

Ami Bhisan Bhisan Dukhita 003 post korte deri hoier janye. Eta  amar ekhane post korar kothe chilona. Anibarya karone ekhanei post korte holo.
Download:

This story was repeat on 1984 as V21 N33 as Majh sagarer Bandi. size of the issue was become smaller and one important thing translation, it also become very poor.


When Times of India launched Indrajal Comics the editors made some changes like Bengali became Denkali the Singh Brothers change to Singapirate etc(wikipedia.org/wiki/Indrajal_Comics).
After 22 issue, from lal Jadukarir Rhasya IJC translated in Bengali(first regional language IJC.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indrajal_Comics). Bengali tranlator made some unique work. 
In 1966 maybe Phantom is not known to Bengali kid so they named it Betal(from betal panchabinsati of vidyasagar) Hero become Tufan(storm) and Devil as Bagha( most common dogs name).  How wonderful. With those name they completely became our own. Just think about CHOLOMAN ASHORIRI  from The ghost who walk. I never got a chance to know who did that job but I always salute them for their wonderful works.
Later (I forget exactly from which issue) Translation become less attractive . Amito bhisan Dakka kheyechhilam jakhan deklam Dev hoye gechhe Davey.  I lost my reading pleasure.
Let look after some example.

In 1967 May 1st  No 041 “The Mystery of the Veiled Lady” was published.  
In Bengali they named it “Abagunthita”.  Beautiful!  
In 1983 V20 N 37 again “The Mystery of the Veiled Lady” published as “Beyond the Boiling River” and in bengali  it was “Agun Paharer Bivisika”.  Anyway what’s in a name?
But when I get inside:   this is from The Mystery of the Veiled Lady of 1967
And from Abagunthita of 1967

From Agun Paharer Bivishika of 1983

So Veiled Lady becomes Orna dhaka sundari. I personally believe Abagunthita is more dramatic, appealing and poetic. But again what’s in a name?
But when I look deeply

Later

In Agun Paharer Bivishika

Later

and in Abaginthita

Later

How our previous translator played with gigantic B... But later it became less dramatic in Orna Dhaka Sundari.
I don’t post here  Abagunthita because it will post by Devil as he wish to post up to 025 of oldies Bengali IJC.
But here is V21 N33 Majh sagarer Bandi, You can compare yourself.

Download:

10 comments:

  1. thanks..ae to chai..besh valo korecho..u've not only posted #3 but also compared between the real version & the repeated one in both eng & bengali, obogunthita & aagun paharer bivisika..tobe "obogunthita" naamta kintu darun..ki bolo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right Walker, Tumi amar Moner kothe bolechho! Abagunthita is more appropriate and poetic than ornadhaka sundari, that what I want to explain in this post.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same I felt about Hindi versions. Although I started reading from 295 only, but was able to read many early Hindi versions and reprints. First print had better colour also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Prabhat, So, you also feel in this way. Those who translate just don’t do it word to word. They like to give us charm of the story.

    I always salute them, without them how I enjoy IJC in my childhood. I have grown up with them. From age of 8 to now I still same fan of IJC. I know it’s not possible without their magic.
    First print was also better and what about Covers? Oh, really great!! B Govind was did some wonderful job. I also salute him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Betal. You are giving us the gems again and again. Chaliye jao boss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulation Mr.devil. Amar avinandan, suvokamona, suvechha roilo natun agantuk o tar ma-babar janyei.

    Bhalo thako.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very nice post,i like such sort of comparative posts where there is something more to say/post than mere links.
    A very attractive header too,liked very much as it portrays the colors of Indrajal comics.
    About Hindi Indrajals the translation or transliteration to say was improved much in later half,i.e.late 70's onwards whereas initially it was just word to word translation of its English counterpart.
    In last,keep it up and yes why this word verification feature is enabled to post comments?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks you comic world, thanks for you like my post.

    Something written, especially copied from one language to another, depend on translator what we get out of it.

    Header is all right but I want to modify it a little.

    And for the word verification, I try to disable it now.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A good comparative study, aspiring me to learn those Bengali words meanings, to understand them better. While I can sense what the wordings say "Orna Dhaka Sundari", as it is little related to Hindi, and gives the perfect translation of A Veiled Lady... But Abagunthita, sounds strange... since I am naive to the language. Could this have been the reason, why IJC translated their product to make it more aligned to the modern age readers, who very rarely have that good command over their regional languages... I only wonder.

    But, I can understand what you guys mean by translation vs transliteration. Many translators,do the job just for money, or see that as another clerical desk job. Until they do it for the passion, they wouldn't be able to involve themselves with the plot, and have the characters named, and the context come alive with the originality into the language it is being translated into.

    I believe, it's not a herculean task, but just needs yourself to get attached to the book, if not the medium all together, to get a product out of it.

    Your comparison, shows this crystal clear, for everyone to see.

    By the way, in Tamil Comics, my mother tongue, Vetal was translated into many catchy names, as Maayaavi and Vetaalar. His horse was named as Kesari, while his dog was retained with the name of Devil. Remember hearing those names before ??

    Thanks again for a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was looking for this issue for a long time, finally got it here after devil told me it is here. Thanks a lot; I hope you'll come back and post some more excellent issues like this.

    ReplyDelete